mentoring³ – Application & Participation
Here you can find information on the application procedure for mentees.
Would you like to support our program as a mentor? Please read the section "Information for Mentors".
Application as mentee
If you are interested in participating in mentoring³, you should:
- pursue an academic career
- be prepared to play an active role in a mentoring relationship
- be prepared to participate in the seminar programme, the networking events and the evaluation
A fee is charged, which includes participation in the supporting and seminar program.
- Scholarship holders, doctoral and postdoctoral researchers with half-time positions: 120,- €
- doctoral students and postdoctoral researchers with a full position: 200,- €
Application and selection procedure
The admission to the program is based on a two-step procedure including a written application and a selection interview, in which your motivation to participate, your goals and expectations of the mentor are discussed.
Your written application is expected to include:
- A cover letter explaining your motivation to participate
- For female doctoral students: a short description of the current status of your dissertation (1-2 pages)
- For female postdoctoral researchers: a brief description of your habilitation or current research project (1-2 pages) and list of publications
- The completed application form
- A passport photograph (as a separate jpg-file or in your CV)
- Current CV
Registration was open until 15 July 2019. The registration deadline for postdoctoral researchers in Engineering Sciences has been extended to 29 August 2019. Here you can download the application form for Engineering Sciences (in German):
Please send your application to your respective coordination office.
Information for Mentors
What you should provide
Mentors who would like to support a mentee in her scientific career should
- have a Habilitation or equivalent
- be interested in promoting young talent
- be prepared to share and pass on their own experience and knowledge of the academic system.
Mentoring in praxis
We present you the personal profile of a potential mentee. After a personal meeting, you can decided whether you would like to guide this early researcher as a mentor. In at least three to four meetings over a period of two years, you would pass on your experience to the doctoral researcher. We will prepare the mentee for the self-reliant design of the mentoring process. She is expected to take the initiative for the preparation of the meetings in terms of content and scheduling.
- You agree on goals and expectations together with the mentee.
- In the mentoring agreement you make a clear declaration about the frequency, duration, location, form and confidentiality of the mentoring partnership.
- You advise and support the mentee in her academic career planning and career development.
- You provide constructive feedback on the competencies and potential of the mentee.
- You impart knowledge about decision-making structures, formal and informal processes in the academic system.
- You impart know-how and practical knowledge of the scientific community.
- You support the mentee in establishing her own scientific and informal network.
Your potential benefit:
- Reflection on your own career
- Further development of your own leadership skills and consulting expertise
- Further development of your own knowledge management skills
- Expansion of the own interdisciplinary network by getting to know other mentors
If you are interested, please contact your respective coordination office. You can fill in a profile form for mentors (PDF file) directly on your computer and send it back to us by e-mail. The profile sheets will be available for download here soon.